Sunday, February 21, 2010

Eating Out 19

The hysteria continues:
What about gluten-saturated (this is now the opposite of gluten free) partners?! How long from when they eat say, a sandwich and when you can lay one on them?! Does it stick around? Wheat fumes?? You are what you eat they say,* I mean, what about doin'...you know... how dangerous?! EEP!**

What a perilous life I have one more week to live! Oy vey!




That aside moving on now okay. Yesterday was a fine day for eating. Kind of skipped the breakfast thing, but I was far too busy reading reading reading (La Peste). Leftover Chinese for breakfastlunch that meal that is sort of in between. Followed by practically no snacking before my huge nap. The greatness happened after the nap.

We went out to eat!

Cool, huh! Yeah, definitely! So originally the plan was "hey let's go out for lunch" which would have been fine because you don't have to really get dressed much to do lunch, it's not that big ordeal of dinner eating, except for then I would've been in a tight bind to try to find things to eat for dinner and I mean, I was wearing my tribute to yellow outfit that totally wasn't going to fly in Biaggi's where we were going (as I hear its got a nice gluten-free menu) and that is an outfit hardly fit to go anywhere except for maybe the library and the garlic press café (also great for the gluten-free) that just wasn't ticklin' my fancy yesterday if you catch my drift. Run. on. So I just ate a little lunch at my own house and moved this date to dinnertime.

We went to Monical's thanks to a tip from a friend. They must have very, very recently added gluten-free pizzas, but they did! Monical's is certainly one of my favorite pizza places in town and I was so pleasantly surprised! dinner: We got a couple of salads and some fries to start but for dinner we got separate pizzas because the gluten-free one only comes in 10 1/2in. (and because someone ::ahem:: doesn't like meat on their pizza. Ugh!

It came out and lo and behold, it was truly very good. Different, you could totally tell it wasn't made with the same flour, but definitely tasty in that acquired once-you-get-used-to-this-it-tastes-perfectly-normal-and-you-could-never-go-back-to-the-regular-kind sort of way like diet soda. The crust is sliiightly thicker than the thin crust but it's practically negligible - we're talking millimeters here at the most - and it's flakier, kind of like a pie crust. You know, it's a little sweeter like a pie crust too. The Other said it tastes kind of like a Cheez-It and I kind of get it except for it's not crammed with the taste of real cheddar cheese into each tiny square.

I ate a ton of everything. Way too much. I was very full (but not bloated I-need-a-nap-full) so then we shopped it off. Fine fine evening but very low on the eating stuff front.

Oh and I guess I ate my weight in Tootsie Rolls between yesterday and the day before but that's a whole 'nother can of worms....





::edit:: I forgot my appendage!  Whoops!

*When I say this I think of Michael Pollan's bit in The Omnivore's Dilemma where he talks about how because of the carbon type that makes up corn, it changes our make-up and so you can do tests on people to find out what they eat mostly and now we eat more corn than those Native peoples who call themselves the corn people.  

**This may or may not be as scandalous as it sounds 

No comments:

Post a Comment